web counter

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Athlon64 3700+

My current overclock with my A643000. This is up from 1.8 GHz. I could push it further by bumping up my voltage slightly, but it's not always stable given the temperature in my room.
---

2.2 GHz, San Diego E6 core, 1 MB of L2 cache.
I've read about its overclocking potential online with both air cooling and water cooling.
Highest OC I've read of with stock air cooling: 2.8 GHz
Highest OC with Water: 3.2 GHz
Highest OC with Peltier cooling (insane): 3.42 GHz.

Tomorrow I get in my 3700+. I'll run it through the tests and such that anyone should before they OC a new processor. But afterwards we'll see what sort of OC I can get out of the stock cooling option. I'm hoping for 2.6 GHz given my computers highest ambient temp. Also, I'd like to add that the speeds do not compare with Intel Pentium 4's. A 3.2 GHz P4 is no where the same as a 3.2 Athlon64.

My reason for waiting on dual-core: I am buying this processor cheap before all the socket 939's are phased out. Currently, the 939 X2's are being phased out to the point of being very hard to find and expensive when found. I hear that the Windows XP key is tied to the computer's motherboard, so changing mobo and CPU would require a new key. Therefore, I'll be waiting until Vista (when I have to get a new key anyway) to purchase either an Intel Duo2 setup or an AMD AM2 setup. It all depends on price/performance/overclocking. This will give me time to save my money and get something decent. Or at least I hope so. ;)
---
Currently Listening To: Nine Inch Nails - Closer - The Downward Spiral (Deluxe DVD-A in 5.1)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home