web counter

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What's Going On


---

Usually I say that there really isn't much going on in my life right now, but that would be far from the truth in this case. In fact, I think there's more going on right now that in any other point in my life. I'll start with the simple stuff and work my way up.

1. I adjusted the placement of my soundcard yesterday in hopes of alleviating the buzzing in the speakers whenever the graphics card had a heavy amount of processing. It fixed the problem (moving it the the bottom PCI slot), but now my right channel is gone regardless of any driver changes or audio output. How the right channel could go but not the left, I have no clue. Either way, I have replaced it with a new X-Fi off of Ebay. Got it for $45 cheaper than retail.

2. We had our range fire drill this past weekend. Since we're in the middle of unit transfer (from 281st to 733rd) we have no weapons or ammo. So how do we do range fire? The brand new simulators of course. Imagine screens a little less than half the size of theater screens. Then imagine replica M-16's dongled through an air powered system, to a computer, and with awesome sound. Now, with the simulator, there are dozens of training plans (range fire qualification, battle zero) and scenarios (room clearing, convoy ops, checkpoint ops, guard, reaction, the list goes on). The examples use videos of very realistic (but not) scenarios, such as a mob of angry locals walking up to the checkpoint throwing rocks. First reaction is "Hey! They're throwing rocks! I have a gun!" But trust me, that's the wrong answer.. hahah. Anyway, so when you think that you're not going to shoot and that it's not an issue, some guy slips out a gun and there is about 1 second of reaction time before he starts firing. After the firefight is over and the video stops, it shows you how many shots you fired, how many missed, and how many were lethal shots.

3. Our new 733rd 1st Sgt. has informed us that our unit's window of deployment is more than likely late 2007 to mid 2008. I am not worried about it, I have to be personally prepared for it otherwise I won't make it a month over there. Hehe.. But it's all good, we'd be supporting a unit from behind the lines. Of course, where the lines are in Iraq is a little screwy.

4. Today is 8 long months with Alicia! Woohoo!!! I love you baby.
---
Currently Listening To: BogusRed - Zelda 3 Into the Golden Sunset - http://www.ocremix.org - 2004

(remember that song at the end of The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past? Yeah, this is a beautiful piano version of it.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So yeah, you failed to mention that you qualified as sharpshooter. So good job, I'm really proud of you! And it hasn't been that long. Gosh, sure it's been 8 months, but I thought it's gone by pretty fast.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I love you...a lot.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home